AeroDyn standalone run issue

Hello there,

I am trying to run AeroDyn in a standalone way. In order to do that, I have successfully installed and compiled, following the instructions in the docs, the whole open FAST toolbox in my system.

Now, when I try to launch a simulation, using the input files linked to in the documentation, I get some strange errors that are pretty difficult to debug. I’m posting here the whole output I get if I type:

>>aerodyn_driver ad_driver_example.dvr

**************************************************************************************************
 AeroDyn_driver

Copyright (C) 2021 National Renewable Energy Laboratory
 Copyright (C) 2021 Envision Energy USA LTD

This program is licensed under Apache License Version 2.0 and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
 See the "LICENSE" file distributed with this software for details.
 **************************************************************************************************

Running AeroDyn_driver a part of OpenFAST - v3.0.0
  linked with NWTC Subroutine Library

Opening input file:  ad_driver_example.dvr

Three bladed wind turbine, using basic geometry input
 Dvr_Init:Dvr_ReadInputFile:Invalid numerical input for file "ad_driver_example.dvr" occurred
 while trying to read NumBlades.
 Dvr_ReadInputFile:Invalid numerical input for file "ad_driver_example.dvr" occurred while trying
 to read HubHt.
 Dvr_ReadInputFile:Invalid numerical input for file "ad_driver_example.dvr" occurred while trying
 to read Overhang.
 AeroDyn Driver encountered simulation error level: FATAL ERROR

Aborting AeroDyn_driver.

Moreover, I have also tried to use the input files that are present in the Appendix of the AeroDyn user manual (https://www.nrel.gov/wind/nwtc/assets/pdfs/aerodyn-manual.pdf), Appendix A and B, respectively.
In such a test however, there is some mismatch in the input file - probably due to some version changes in the file reader I guess. I am reporting also the output I get in such a test, in case you might find it useful:

AeroDyn_driver

Copyright (C) 2021 National Renewable Energy Laboratory
 Copyright (C) 2021 Envision Energy USA LTD

This program is licensed under Apache License Version 2.0 and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
 See the "LICENSE" file distributed with this software for details.

Running AeroDyn_driver a part of OpenFAST - v3.0.0
  linked with NWTC Subroutine Library

Opening input file:  test.dvr

------- AERODYN v15 for OpenFAST INPUT FILE -----------------------------------------------
  UAE Phase 3 turbine (BEM)
 Running AeroDyn.
 Init_AeroDyn:AD_Init:ParsePrimaryFileInfo:ParseSiVar:
  >> A fatal error occurred when parsing data from "./ad_primary_example.dat".
  >> The variable "AirDens" was not assigned valid REAL value on line #16.
  >> The text being parsed was :
     ""default"     AirDens            - Air density (kg/m^3)"
 AeroDyn Driver encountered simulation error level: FATAL ERROR

Aborting AeroDyn_driver.

Can you please help?

Many thanks,
Lorenzo

Dear @Lorenzo.Schena,

As you noted, my guess is your AeroDyn driver input file is not formatted properly. The AeroDyn driver was extensively updated in OpenFAST v3.0 relative to prior versions. Documentation on the updated AeroDyn driver is available here: 4.2.1.5. AeroDyn Driver — OpenFAST v3.3.0 documentation. And sample AeroDyn driver models are available in the OpenFAST r-test: r-test/modules/aerodyn at main · OpenFAST/r-test · GitHub.

Best regards,

1 Like

Dear @Jason.Jonkman ,

It was in fact a problem with the input files. I resolved using the correct reference for my current version, v3.0 from read the docs.

Many thanks,