2 bladed down wind turbine

Hi,

Has any one tried to simulate a 2 bladed down wind turbine using FAST ? I am tying to evaluate the difficulties in modeling such a turbine using various solvers.

regards
Satish

Dear Satish,

In FAST it is quite straightforward to set up a model for a 2-bladed downwind rotor. In fact, the FAST Certification Test includes two examples with downwind 2-bladed rotors – tests 01-05 are for the AWT-27CR2 and test 09 is for the UAE Phase VI downwind configuration.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Are there any reports or any other materials existing for detail specifications of the two 2-bladed wind turbines you mentioned above: the AWT-27CR2 and the UAE Phase VI.
If any, could you attach a link for downloading them? Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Yingyi Liu

Dear Yingyi Liu,

The AWT-27CR2 model is very old and I was not one who originally assembled the associated FAST model. I don’t know if there is a publicly available report documenting it. I would ask the person who originally made that model, but he has now retired.

The UAE Phase VI turbine is well documented in the following report (particularly Appendix A): nrel.gov/docs/fy02osti/29955.pdf.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Thanks so much for your information about UAE Phase VI turbine.
As for AWT-27CR2, I found the following page for AWT-27 through Google: en.wind-turbine-models.com/turbi … nc.-awt-27
However, it seems that the above turbine AWT-27 is not exactly the one packaged by the FAST CertTest examples, although they are very similar (both 2-bladed).

Best Regards,
Yingyi Liu