Question about Turbsim

Dear all
I am currently studying the response of a wind turbine when wind and ice loads are coupled. I would like to generate my own wind field data using Turbsim, and the detailed procedure is as follows (please point out if you find any errors).
I modified some parameters in the Kaimal.inp file, mainly the grid height, grid width, hub height, reference velocity height and the average wind speed at that location.
Then the wind file read when running is still NRELOffshrBsline5MW_InflowWind_12mps.dat,Windtype3, but the wind field file read inside becomes my own Kaimal.bts.

But when I run it, I get an error, it tells me that the Mach number exceeds 1

Best regards,
Tianhui

Dear Tianhui,

I also see many high angle of attack warnings along the blade very close to the start of the simulation. This suggests to me that your controller is not functioning as expected or the model has gone numerically unstable.

Did you change anything in the OpenFAST model of the NREL 5-MW baseline turbine? Have you set the initial conditions of rotor speed and blade-pitch angle properly? (These should be set to their expected (mean) values associated with the mean wind speed you are simulating.

Best regards,

Dear Jonkman

After some debugging, I was able to run the program successfully. But there is still a similar error reported.

I have set the initial rotor speed based on the average wind speed (both are set according to “Definition of a 5-MW Reference Wind Turbine for Offshore System Development”)However, I don’t know how to set the blade-pitch angle.

Incidentally, I set the average wind speed of 4m/s, which is slightly greater than the cut-in wind speed, and the initial rotor speed is the cut-in speed

Best regards,
Tianhui

Dear Tianhui.Liu,

I don’t see any errors–in fact the simulation terminated normally–but there are still many warnings about large angle of attack, which again suggests to me that your controller is not functioning properly or your initial conditions are not set as properly. The expected (mean) values of the rotor speed and blade-pitch angles, from which the initial conditions should be set, can be found in Figure 9-1 of the NREL 5-MW baseline wind turbine specification document you referenced. At 4 m/s mean wind speed, this should mean you should set RotSpeed = 7.2 rpm and BlPitch(1-3) = 0.0deg in ElastoDyn.

Best regards,

Dear Sir,
I am new in this forum. I am looking for Turbsim software, but unfortunately I couldn’t find it. Would you please instruct me in this issue?
Many thanks in advance.

Dear Mazi,

The last version of TurbSim before our NWTC Information Portal crashed (TurbSim v2.00.07a-bjj) is available on my Google drive: drive.google.com/file/d/1eCvgoO … sp=sharing.

Even newer versions of TurbSim are available in the OpenFAST repository on github: github.com/OpenFAST/openfast. However, a precompiled binary executable for Windows is not provided here; when using this repository, you you must compile TurbSim yourself using the source code provided.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,
Thanks for your reply.
Regards

Dear Jason
As I understood from the TurbSim manual, I need AeroDyn to open *.wnd and transfer TurbSim result to MATLAB script.
Unfortunately it seem AeroDyn is not on the “AeroDyn | Wind Research | NREL” too.
Would you please help me in this issue, and inform me about other necessary software.
Regards

Dear Mazi,

I’m not really sure I understand your question, but AeroDyn is included as part of OpenFAST, available from here: github.com/OpenFAST/openfast. Please clarify if that does not answer your question.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,
Let me explain in full.
I am going to analyze a 5-MW offshore wind turbine vibration. So I need to know wind speed to calculate wind force on the blades. Openfast needs hardware/software that unfortunately is not available for me now. So I tried “TurbSim v2.00.07a-bjj” which was on your Google drive.
As you know A MATLAB script that reads Turbsim output files is included in the TurbSim archive; it is named “Test\readBLgrid.m”. When I ran it, MATLAB error was as follows:

Error using readBLgrid (line 42)
Wind file could not be opened.

I thought that I need “AeroDyn” to open “.wnd” files to run “readBLgrid.m”.
Regards,

Dear Mazi,

You don’t need AeroDyn to read the binary wind data files output from TurbSim. And I’m not sure what you mean when you say OpenFAST needs hardware/software that is not available to you; can you clarify?

There is a bit newer version of the script you are using from the old TurbSim archive in the MATLAB Toolbox: github.com/OpenFAST/matlab-tool … file_WND.m. Does this work for you?

You could also try generating TurbSim binary file files in AeroDyn form (*.bts). The script to read that format is available here: github.com/OpenFAST/matlab-tool … file_WND.m.

Best regards,