DTU 10-MW Reference Wind Turbine

Dear All,

We’ve received a few requests for a FAST model of the DTU 10-MW reference wind turbine (dtu-10mw-rwt.vindenergi.dtu.dk). This is something that I’m sure NREL will need to develop at some point, but is not something we are currently funded to develop. Has anyone outside of NREL already developed this model and would be willing to share?

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

I’m not sure whether I’m well-informed in this case, but it seems to me that this turbine is the same as the INNWIND.EU 10 MW reference turbine. As a participant of this project, this is on my agenda. Unfortunately, I will not be able to do the FAST implementation before the end of 2014. Moreover, I have to clarify whether it is intended by all involved partiers to share the whole data.

Best regards,

Jan

Dear Jan,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the DTU 10-MW reference wind turbine is the reference turbine used within INNWIND. If you are indeed able/willing to share the model, once you’ve developed it, please do!

Thanks and best regards,

Deal all

We’ve started to implement the DTU 10MW turbine but we don’t get the controller to run, neither with the Simulink controller (It seems that this is not supported yet) nor with the Bladed-Style DLL compiled by the Simulink Coder (former Realtime Workshop). Is there a workaround for FAST v8 that describes how to do this?

Kind regards
Jan

Hi, Jan.

The FAST v8-Simulink interface is scheduled to be released by the end of March.

I’m not really familiar with the DLL compiled by the Simulink Coder. Is it different than the “normal” Bladed-Style DLL that FAST v8 reads? What error do you get when you try to use this DLL in FAST?

Hello Bonnie

I don’t think that this DLL differs from other Bladed-Style DLL’s read by FAST v8, there is even a Bladed project file.

When I try to use it with ServoDyn I get an error message that the DLL ExternalControllerApi.dll is missing. Additionally, there is a header file called ExternalControllerApi.h in the source directory of the controller, but I’m not able to recompile it, since I don’t have a license for the Simulink Coder in MATLAB.

Best Regards
Jan

Addendum: I just talked with a researcher from another university who is familiar with the controller and he said that the layout of the Bladed-Style controller DLL has changed. Therefore, all people who don’t work with Bladed have issues to run their simulations. However, I hope that the Simulink interface in FAST v8 will bypass this problem.

Hello Jan,

I have been tracking your updates / status on the development of a FAST model for the DTU 10-MW Reference wind turbine. Our R&D department is interested in some studies using this wind turbine, and a working FAST model would be immensely useful. Do you think your group will be able to share your FAST model set-up for this wind turbine, and if yes, do you have a time frame in mind as to when your model will be available? Thanks a lot!

Ikpoto E. Udoh, Ph.D
Houston Offshore Engineering, LLC
an Atkins Company
Webpage: www.houston-offshore.com
Email: iudoh@houston-offshore.com
Main: (281) 436-6200
Direct: (281) 310-5206

Hello,

I’m a graduate student, and my research is 10 MW DTU RWT dynamic analysis based on FAST.

Because I had an error using FAST V8 to model wind turbine, so I just changed the version to V7.01. Then, the result shows little rotor speed and negative rotor power output in the case of strong wind and still water. So, is that because of the wrong control file?

Best wishes.

Hello Yingyu

Can you explain your problem in more detail? (maybe with numbers)

The current controller version of the DTU 10MW FAST model that I’ve provided is an adapted NREL 5MW controller. In fact, I didn’t prove the controller functionality for all load cases, because the correct controller DLL should be provided within the INNWIND.EU project in the midterm.

Best regards
Jan

Dear All,

I’m beginning research into optimizing offshore wind support structures and getting to know FAST. I was wondering if it would be possible to receive a copy of the DTU 10MW FAST model discussed in the above posts?

I’ve just begun to use the board so apologies in advance if I have missed a link to the model files.

Best Regards,
Kieran

Hello Kieran

Sorry for the late response to your question. There are some limitations in the model (the controller issue, for example, is mentioned above) and it’s not in a public stage yet. However, for use on own risk, I can provide the model, if you send me your mail adress.

Best regards
Jan

Hello Jan,

Thank you for the kind offer of sharing your model and discussing it’s limitations. I will send you my mail address directly.

Best Regards,
Kieran

EDIT: The old site in my original comment is now out of date. The files are now hosted on a GitLab repository here: https://rwt.windenergy.dtu.dk/dtu10mw/dtu-10mw-rwt. Note that, however, the FAST files might not necessarily match the HAWC2 files released on hawc2.dk/download/hawc2-model.

Original post:

Cheers,
Jenni

Hello everyone

Fortunately, this new model comprises a controller DLL without limitations. I’ve sent the DTU 10MW model to numerous people, so I suggest you all to use the files from the repository mentioned in the post before mine.

However, if someone is interested in a bottom-fixed support structure instead of the floating structure, I’ve attached a small archive with SubDyn and HydroDyn input files of the INNWIND.EU reference jacket. In comparison to the OC4 jacket model (Test21), this one incorporates joint cans and has therefore far more nodes/DOFs. Please note that it might be necessary to recalculate the tower mode shapes.

Best regards
Jan
INNWIND_RefJacket_FAST_SubDyn_HydroDyn_jha.zip (17.4 KB)

Dear all,

I’ve been trying to run the DTU 10MW RWT FAST files (as downloaded from the repository), however I’ve been having an issue with the controller since I keep getting an error after execution of the .fst: “…\dtu_we_controller_bladed. dll could not be loaded. Check that the file exists in the specified location and that it is compiled for 64-bit applications”. I also get the same error for 32-bit applications. Therefore, I would appreciate if you could share with me the corresponding file.

On the other hand, having this working I’m going to run the turbine on a Floating setting, which is why I was wondering if those files have been created yet and can be shared as well e.g., HydroDyn, MoorDyn, etc.

Best regards,

Ivan David Rojas
M.Sc. Sustainable Energy Technology
Wind Energy Track
Delft University of Technology - TU Delft

Dear all,

I’ve been trying to study the DTU 10 MW turbine on a fixed-bottom sub-structure like a jacket and a monopile. I’ve been using the FAST input file for the jacket sub-structure input files that Jan shared. For the normal operation analysis, I need a dll controller compiled with 64 bit. This is because the jacket model consiting of many nodes requires large memory. I’ve tried to compile it with 64 bit using the code file of the dll controller from GitHub, but the controller did not work properly with 64 bit executable of FASTv8. I am wondering if you guys can share a dll controller compiled with 64 bit.

I am also wondering if the FAST input files for the monopile sub-structure for DTU 10 MW turbine exists or can be shared if it exists. Does anyone use the input files(SubDyn and HydroDyn) for the monopile sub-structure for FASTv8? If so, it would be a big help. Thank you.

Best
Regards,

Semyung Park
PhD Candidate
Wind Energy Center
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003

Dear Semyung Park,

What do you mean when you say that, “the controller did not work properly”?

I’ll let someone else (who may have these files) respond regarding the SubDyn and HydroDyn files.

Best regards,

Dear all,
I am trying to compile the DTU 10-MW model using opencast on Mac OS. However the dtu_we_controller.dll cannot be read on a MacOS.
Does anyone know if a version of this library exists for mac ( .so) ? Is the source code available ?

Thank you very much for your help,

Romain Pinguet

Dear Romain and Semyung,

I am not involved with the project in any way but the source code of the controller is available here:
[url]https://github.com/DTUWindEnergy/BasicDTUController[/url]

There is also a makefile, so if you run make on your Mac OS it should create the .so files that you need (it is set up such that it recognises the operating system you are using). A very simple explanation is also provided in the readme file here:
[url]https://github.com/DTUWindEnergy/BasicDTUController/blob/master/src/Makefile.README.txt[/url]

Unfortunately I also didn’t manage to get this to work in 64bit. I re-compiled it using a 64bit compiler on Windows, but as soon as the analysis starts running, the controller stops with the error “NaN issue. Stop in DTU controller.”

I traced this error to the function PID2 inside the dtu_we_controller_fcns.f90:
[url]https://github.com/DTUWindEnergy/BasicDTUController/blob/master/src/dtu_we_controller/dtu_we_controller_fcns.f90[/url]

The issue appears to be that PIDvar%outres is NaN initially, and the controller stops (?). However, the text that is plotted in the same if structure is also plotted for the working 32bit version of the controller, so the issue may be only the “stop” command inside the if structure in the PID2 function (however, I didn’t try changing this). The error I get is shown in the picture below.

In case someone else tries to compile it, I would greatly appreciate if he/she could let me know if it worked. That would help me understand whether the problem is with my compiler or somewhere in the code in the repository.

Kind regards,

Laszlo Arany

Dear Lazlo and others,

We experience the same NaN-issue for PIDvar%outres with the DTU controller when using 64bit compiler on Windows (ifort).

Has anyone managed to successfully compile 64bit in windows and run Fast with the DTU controller without (known) errors? It would be highly appreciated if she/he could share how the NaN-issue was solved.

Many thanks