TIMESR Simulation

Dear Jason,

I have generated a full field wind file from SCADA wind data with TurbSim v2.00.00 and the TIMESR capability.
I have used a previous FAST model that works fine for “normal” turbulent winds, i.e. with no user-defined time series, and when I run the TIMESR wind file into FAST, I have got non-sense values and weird behaviour regarding pitch angles.
1.png
2.png
I would expect something closer to the envelope of this signal, any thoughts?
Do you have any idea where this behaviour arises from?

Thank you in advance,

Jordi

Dear Jordi,

I’m not really sure. The only thing you changed between the case that runs fine and the case that does not is the turbulent wind data file?

Are you using a wind turbine model and/or control system that NREL has provided or something you developed yourself?

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Yes, the only change was the turbulent wind.

I am simulating the Levenmouth Wind Turbine (Samsung Heavy Industries S7.0-171) with the Basic DTU Wind Energy controller adequately tuned.

All the Best,
Jordi

Dear Jordi,

I’m not really sure, but I would guess the issue is related to the controller. I would start by assessing the oscillation frequency of the pitch signal (7/20 = 0.35 Hz?); does this correspond to a natural frequency in the model that should otherwise be low-pass filtered out? Also, are you hitting any pitch-rate limits because the gains are set too high?

Best regards,