Suggestions for compiling FAST v8

Hi, Dear Dr. Jonkman,
I have downloaded the FAST_v8.16.00a-bjj., Visual studio 2019, and Intel Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran 2020. I am trying to compiling FAST in the VS. According to the suggestions of the forum, I have modified the OrcaFlexInterface by substituting “ABSTRACT INTERFACE” with only “INTERFACE”.
The number of errors has now decreased to 0. But there were still 14 warnings. I don’t know how to fix these ones.
Please see the screenshot attached for the VS warns.
Besides, next, if I want to change the TMD position of the 5MW baseline test floating offshore platform , What should I do in compiling and how to read the output of the compiling codes?

Thanks,
Yifan

Dear Yifan,

The warnings are not something you should be concerned about or need to eliminate. Did compiling end with the creation of an executable?

I’m not sure I understand your question about the TMD position.

Best regards,

Dear Dr. Jonkman,
Thanks for your reply. At the end of the compiling, the executable was created.
For the TMD (tuned mass damper) position question, if I want to change the installation site of the TMD from the nacelle of the wind turbine to the platform of the offshore wind turbine platform, How should I compile in the FAST code to do that? As you known, in the ‘Theory Manual for the TMD module in FAST v8’, it only considers the TMD located in the nacelle of the wind turbine. while for some papers, it considers locating the TMD in the platform.
Best,
Yifan

Dear Yifan,

FAST v8.16 includes two instances of the TMD submodule–one located in the nacelle and one located in the tower. If you enable the tower-based TMD (CompTTMD = True) and locate the TMD at or below the tower base (TMD_P_Z <= 0), then the TMD will effectively be placed in the platform (which is modeled as a rigid body), although the loads from the TMD will transfer through the tower base.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Dear Dr. Jonkman,

Thank you very much for your reply, which helps me a lot.

Best wishes,

Dear sir,
I am a user of OpenFAST. I downloaded the precompiled binaries. I want to model TMD in platform. Is ‘_ServoDyn_TMD.dat’ file itself is used for the purpose( confused whether it is for nacelle alone from the file name). Also, I am not able to locate ‘CompTTMD’ flag in my .fst file.
Thanks in advance.

Dear Akheel,

The CompTTMD flag for the tower-based TMD (and the related compNTMD flag for the nacelle-based TMD) are set within the ServoDyn input file. The _TMD.dat file has the same format for both the tower- and nacelle-based TMDs. Each _TMD.dat file is also specified within the ServoDyn input file.

OpenFAST does not currently support TMDs installed in the platform (perhaps the tower is close enough?), but we are working on adding this functionality now (in addition to TMDs in the blades).

Best regards,

Dear Jason,
Thank you sir. I could find a lot of journals with TMD in platform. Does any previous version of FAST has TMD in platform enabled?

Dear Akheel,

Not an any official version of FAST or OpenFAST that NREL has released. However, being an open-source software, users have made their own customizations. As I mentioned, though, NREL is currently working to add more options to the TMD submodel of ServoDyn (which is being renamed to structural control) and to allow for multiple TMDs to be added to the platform and blades (in addition to the tower and nacelle).

Best regards,