Release of a new open-source BEM code HAMS as a substitution of WAMIT, AQWA, WADAM, Hydrostar, etc

[size=130]Dear colleagues and friends,

I am happy to let you know that a new open-source BEM code for wave analysis of offshore structures has been released on GitHub for months. The code is named HAMS (Hydrodynamic Analysis of Marine Structures) and has been developed by me for nearly a decade. Last year I decided to release it as an open-source code so as to eliminate the inequality (for those who cannot afford to purchase a costly commercial BEM software) in the continuous research developments related to offshore engineering and ocean renewable energies, such as offshore wind, wave energy converters, etc.

There are several important features that may attract you to use HAMS:

1. HAMS can read WAMIT *.gdf mesh file and can export the computation results to WAMIT or Hydrostar format.

2. HAMS is written in the OpenMP parallel mode so you can specify how many cores/threads to use before running it. Running a typical case with e.g. 3000 panels may cost several seconds on a laptop for each wave period.

3. HAMS can (at the user’s choice) remove the irregular frequencies that Nemoh might not be able to.

4. HAMS is written in a clear code structure using Fortran 90, which will be much easier for further continuous developments by the users.

You can find and download the HAMS code here: github.com/YingyiLiu/HAMS

I suggest you fork the entire project so that you will be able to receive the latest updates from time to time.

I wish all of you enjoy using HAMS in your research and daily works.

Best regards,
Yingyi

Typical results generated by HAMS:[/size]

1 Like

so great .

[size=110]Just an update, you may find and download the attached HAMS tutorial material to be presented at the coming EWTEC2021 conference, 5th – 9th September 2021 in Plymouth, UK.[/size]
Liu_EWTEC_2021.pdf (495 KB)

Dear Yingyi.Liu,

Thank you for developing and sharing HAMS with the wind energy and water power communities! We are quite pleased with the performance and accuracy of HAMS and are now using it within our WEIS (Wind Energy with Integrated Servo-control) framework to enable controls co-design of floating offshore wind turbines.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Thank you for your feedback. It’s my great pleasure that HAMS is helpful to the WEIS framework in NREL. I will keep continuously updating the code from time to time. And I appreciate very much all the support from you and the colleagues from NREL (indeed your outstanding work and enthusiasm on developing the wind energy open-source codes have influenced me a lot).

Best regards,
Yingyi

1 Like