Hardware in the loop

Dear Sina,

My understanding is that there are options in MATLAB/Simulink for running real-time simulations, but I’m not very familiar with these. If your existing FAST / OpenFAST model within MATLAB/Simulink already runs faster than real time (or can be simplified a bit to do so), I would guess it would possible to use it for real-time applications, but you’d have to check MATLAB/Simulink documentation for information on how to do that.

A similar question was discussed in the following forum topics, but I’m not sure where the work ended up:

The FAST v7 interface to LabView was used for real-time implementation, but this functionality has not yet been ported to FAST v8 or OpenFAST. It was up to the user to set up the FAST v7 model so that it would run faster than real time without the interface to LabView enabled. LabView would then wait before calling FAST v7 again so that the simulation was real time. NREL used the LabView interface to link FAST v7 with the actual controller implemented on the physical CART wind turbine tested at NREL (in a hardware in the loop mode), so that the controller could be tested before using it on the real CART. This capability is discussed a bit in the following forum topic:

Best regards,