Fully Coherent or uniform wind field

Hi,

Thanks a lot for all the effort and great work here.

I need to make a wind field (TurbSim output) that the wind time series is the same on all the grid points. What do I mean here? I explain with an example. Let’s say I want to generate wind time series using TurbSim, on a 5 by 5 grid, for the average wind speed of 12m/s, using Kaimal spectrum and turbulence class B. I want all the 25 grid points to have the same time series as the grid point in the grid centre (HH). I read the TurbSim user guide but couldn’t find anything that helps. What parameters in the input file should I tweak to get what I need?

Cheers,
Rad

Dear @Rad.Haghi,

TurbSim can be used to generate turbulent time series following a Kaimal spectrum, but it will generate wind with spatially varying turbulence (more than one point in the Y and Z directions). If you want time varying, but spatially uniform inflow, you can use the uniform wind file format (WindType = 2) supported by the InflowWind module of OpenFAST.

Best regards,

If you set WrADHH to true in the TurbSim input file and run the simulation with the inputs you’ve requested, the resulting .hh file will contain a single point with turbulence (from the point the TurbSim considers the hub). You can use this .hh file in InflowWind for WindType=2, as Jason suggests. You should verify the shear is 0 if you want all points to have the same time series.