Arbitrary turbine geometry

Hi everyone!
I have a question regarding an unusual turbine/blade geometry I’d like to simulate (HAWT, 3 bladed, ring-shaped turbine). It’s like a horizontally arranged Darrieus rotor.
As you can see in the picture (pathway of one blade), there are 2 rotor planes and one bade has a part in the luv-plane, then bends backwards and takes place in the lee-plane.

Is it possible to modell this kind of shape?
If yes, how do I do this?

Best regrads,

Fabian

Dear @Fabian.Schumacher,

The standalone AeroDyn driver allows you to specify arbitrary base motion of the turbine. So, I would expect that it would be possible to simulate the motion you describe. See the documentation on the AeroDyn driver here: 4.2.1.5. AeroDyn Driver — OpenFAST v3.4.0 documentation.

Best regards,

Hi @Jason.Jonkman,

sorry, if I my description was unclear!
I don’t want to model any base motion.
The blade I want to model has this curvy shape that you see in the picture.
The problem I’m currently encountering is that the blade nodes have to be defined from the most inboard to the most outboard node.
But because of the blade’s curvature and the descent towards the lee plane this isn’t possible.
On the other hand when I implement the nodes ascendentally the connection between the nodes will be wrong.
Do you have any idea how to solve this?

Best regards,

Dear @Fabian.Schumacher,

I’m sorry, but I’m not sure I fully understand what your image is trying to convey.

Regardless, you should be able to define a “curvy” blade shape using the BlCrvAC and BlSwpAC inputs in the AeroDyn blade input file. See, for e.g., the standalone AeroDyn r-test of a kite: r-test/modules/aerodyn/ad_Kite_OLAF at main · OpenFAST/r-test · GitHub.

Best regards,

Dear @Jason.Jonkman ,

thanks, that helped alot. With that I could solve it!

Best regards,