1.Wind turbine steady-state response

I would like to ask you about the dynamic response of the wind turbines. When a wind turbine is operating normally, its transient response, you said in the definition of a 5MW wind turbine (page 32), is a computational artifact and this behavior should be mitigated. In this case, how to analyze the dynamic response at startup? Another question is that when the wind turbine is stopped and idling, the displacement response of the tower top calculated by the FAST software also has a transient process. Does this make sense? I think that compared with normal operation, when the wind turbine is idling during shutdown (the control of pitch and yaw, etc. is powered off), the wind turbine only has a structural dynamic response, so the transient part of the FAST simulation results is still a calculated artifact, or has engineering significance.[quote=“Zimo.Zhu, post:1, topic:2242, full:true”]
Dear all

I have built the finite element model for NREL 5MW wind turbine in ANSYS in order to do dynamic analysis. I use parameters and information provided in prod-ng.sandia.gov/techlib-noau … 132569.pdf. The natural frequency of 1st edgewise bending is 1.578 in my ANSYS model, while the reference value is 1.06, the error is around 50%. Other modes are accurate with acceptable errors (around 2%). May I know if any other encounters similar probblems? And are there any lab tests for the NREL 5MW wind turbine?

I would be appreciated it if you could reply. Thank you :slight_smile:

Best regards
Zimo
[/quote]

Dear @HaiYan.Liao,

I’m not sure I really understand your questions about dynamic response. Are you asking about the simulation start-up transients that result from the initial condition solution?

I’m not sure what is causing the difference between your ANSYS prediction of the blade-edgewise natural frequency and the published natural frequency and I’m not aware that others have similar issues.

Best regards,