Optimal time of simulation in OpenFAST v3.4.0

Dear Jason,

Thanks for your answer. I’ve been working on my project to try to rephrase the question in a more clear way.

The goal is to compare the generated power of a 5MW onshore wind turbine (5MW_Land_DLL_WTurb) with different wind profiles (it is mainly focused on steady wind conditions). A 3D graphic will be created so that it is easier to understand. It will involve the wind speed varying from 3 to 25 m/s (the cut-in and cut-off wind speeds), the power-law wind-profile exponent (PLexp) varying from 0.05 to 0.5 and the generated power.

My doubt arises because I don’t know what the quickest way is to perform all these simulations. I’ve came up with two possible solutions. The first one is to perform a 3600 s simulation (according to the IEC conditions you mentioned in the last message) for every PLexp at each wind speed. It will look something like this:

PLexp = 0.05 → WSpeed = 3 m/s
PLexp = 0.05 → WSpeed = 4 m/s
PLexp = 0.05 → WSpeed = 5 m/s
(…)

PLexp = 0.10 → WSpeed = 3 m/s
PLexp = 0.10 → WSpeed = 4 m/s
PLexp = 0.10 → WSpeed = 5 m/s
(…)

The second solution is faster, but I don’t know if it is very rigorous. I will create a single “.hh” wind profile file where the wind speed increases a unit every 400 s (for example) for each PLexp. It will look something like this:

I’ve chosen 400 s because it looks like it’s a time enough to eliminate the start up transients like in this picture happens:

Finally, what I obtain when simulating the last “.hh” wind profile is this:

Hope I’ve been more clear this time. I’ll be pleased to know your opinion about this issue I’m facing.

Kind regards,
Ignacio López