NREL 1.5 MW

Dear Jonkman,
Thanks for your reply i understood that . But now i am running a Parking condition as you mention “special events” in control chapter. Everything is coming correct but why Rotor Torque is coming . We make the blade angle to 0. and the blade are locked then why we are getting the Rotor Torque.
Waiting for your reply.

Dear Anuj,

I would expect a rotor torque if the blades are fixed at 0 degrees. To reduce torque when parked or idling, blades are normally fixed at around 90 degrees (leading edge into the wind).

Best regards,

Dear Jonkman,
FIrst of all why we are getting a Rot Torque at 0 angle.
Second if we make to 90 degree the Rot Torque is increasing.I made the BlPitch(1) angle to 90 degree same for all blades. And i am getting more Rot torque. why ??
I know about Rotor Thrust but i am unable to understand Rot Torque because we get Rot torque only when the blades will rotates.

Dear Anuj,

I’m not sure I understand your question. In low winds, a wind turbine normally uses a small pitch angle (typically near 0 deg) so that rotor torque is generated to start up the turbine. Torque can be produced when the rotor spins or not. At high winds, a high pitch angle is used (typically near 90 deg) to minimize torque (and thrust) for the parked or idling case.

Have you disabled the generator in your simulation such that there is zero generator torque? In this case I would expect, the rotor torque would be nonzero at whatever pitch angle is set until the rotor accelerates/decelarates to a steady state speed, at which point the rotor torque should drop to zero. The steady state rotor speed should be near zero for a 90-deg pitch angle.

Best regards,

Dear Jonkman,
I want to know the total center of gravity and mass moment of inertia of the total 1.5 MW wind turbine.
It is available somewhere?? if not then how to calculate??
Because the blades and tower are distributed and i don’t know the center of gravity location of all the components.
can you help me please.
Thanking you.

Dear Anuj,

The mass, center of mass, and inertias of the rotor-nacelle assembly of the WindPACT 1.5-MW turbine are documented in my Nov 23, 2009 post in the following forum topic: Tower fore-aft modes shapes.

You can derive the mass, center of mass, and inertias of the full wind turbine (rotor + drivetrain + nacelle + tower) using a FAST linearization analysis. The easiest way would be to use the following settings in FAST:

Disable all of the flexible mode DOFs of the wind turbine and only enable the 6 platform DOFs (found in PtfmFile).
Disable all turbine controls, disable aerodynamics, and set RotSpeed to 0.0.
Enable the linearization mode, by setting AnalMod to 2.
In the LinFile, set CalcStdy to False (to linearize about the initial conditions) and set MdlOrder to 2 (to get a second order linearized model).
Run FAST.

This linearization will return the 6x6 rigid-body mass matrix of the full wind turbine, which contains the mass (upper-left quadrant), center of mass (upper-right/lower-left quadrants), and inertias (lower-right quadrant) relative to the platform reference point.

Best regards,