Source code of OC3 floating body

Dear Jason,

I am trying to compile FAST code for OC3 floating wind turbine. I have done for certified test cases, but in OC3 case, I am stuck with the error message of ‘GBRatio must be set to 1.0 when using Kirk Pierce’s UserVSCont() routine’. I have tried to find the solution about it in this forum. However, I could not understand well with the answers. If I can see the source codes, they will be a great help. Could you give me the source codes for OC3 floating body?

Thanks,
Sungwon

Dear SungWon,

In FAST v7, a couple minor customizations of the source code are required to build a model that follows the specifications of the OC3-Hywind system. You can read about these customizations in the following forum topic: Additional linear hydrodynamic damping in OC3 Hywind. However, from the error message you are getting, it sounds like you are using the wrong controller. The OC3-Hywind system uses the NREL 5-MW turbine, which does not rely on Kirk Pierce’s UserVSCont() routine. Instead, the NREL 5-MW turbine uses a torque and pitch controller implemented in GH Bladed-style DLL format. The DLL (i.e., DISCON.dll) is supplied with the NREL 5-MW models. These controllers require FAST’s interface to GH Bladed-style DLLs (BladedDLLInterface.f90), which is not by default linked in FAST v7. The OC3-Hywind system archive for FAST v7 includes a FAST v7 executable compiled with all of these customizations.

That said, FAST v8 is capable of modeling the OC3-Hywind system directly, without any customizations. In fact, the OC3-Hywind system is distributed as Test24 in the latest release of FAST v8. You may want to upgrade to FAST v8.

Best regards,

Thank you for your answering me Jason. I fixed my problem for OC3-Hywind system.

Now, I am also trying to compile source code for FASTLink, and I have a problem with that. I have got this error messages;

FAST.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _USERYAWCONT referenced in function _FASTSUBS_mp_CROSSPROD FAST.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _PITCHCNTRL referenced in function _FASTSUBS_mp_CROSSPROD FAST.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _USERPTFMLD referenced in function _FASTSUBS_mp_CROSSPROD FAST.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _USERGEN referenced in function _FASTSUBS_mp_DRVTRTRQ FAST.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _USERVSCONT referenced in function _FASTSUBS_mp_DRVTRTRQ FAST.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _USERHSSBR referenced in function _FASTSUBS_mp_DRVTRTRQ
What I understand is that I need a *.lib file to fix them, and I have read FASTLink manual. It says that the FASTlink.lib file has to be added as a dependency to the linker. Could you give me the file?

Again, thanks!
Sungwon

Hi Sungwon,

The library file I have available is ‘FASTlinkDLL.dll’, not ‘FASTlink.dll’ referenced above. It might be good to contact Orcina and ask if there is a more up-to-date version in case mine is outdated. The library and dll file (32 bit) I have archived is attached with this posting.

Thank you,
Marco
libs.zip (293 KB)

Thank you for your help Marco!
I have compiled the source code with the library file above, and it works with replacing local pass at *bat. I used ifort compiler.

Again, many thanks.
Sungwon