Blade mass in summary file of Elastodyn

Hi all,

can someone explain how the mass of the blade, that is output in ElastoDyn’s summary, is calculated?
I tried some different ideas taking the distributed and interpolated blade properties from the same summary as basis but without success.
(I’m using the latest version of OpenFAST with AeroDyn 15 and Elastodyn for Blades and Tower.)

Best regards,

Simon

Dear Simon,

I’ve answered this question in my post dated Jan 11, 2018 in the following forum topic: Questions about the HydroDyn Module - #26 by Jason.Jonkman.

Best regards,

Hi Mr Jonkman
The mass of the turbine blade that I want to simulate with the FAST software is actually about 8.5 kg, but when I run the software, the mass of the blade is reported to be about 5 kg in the file with the fsm extension.
How can I resolve this dispute?

Dear @Ali.Rouhbakhsh,

That’s quite a large discrepancy. Is your blade structural model sufficiently discretized?

You can always set AdjBlMs to scale the specified mass distribution by a small amount to ensure that the total integrated blade mass is correct.

Best regards,

I changed the AdjBlMs and re-ran but got no change in blade mass

Dear @Ali.Rouhbakhsh,

I’m not aware of any bug associated with AdjBlMs. Did you save the file after changing the input and did you run with the correct input file?

Best regards,